Left Owl Owl Fantasy Forum
Discussion about Owls in Fiction and Fantasy
Right Owl
Recent Posts | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups |Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in | OwlPages.com | Owlers Forum

Define 'Spam'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Fantasy Forum Forum Index -> Suggestions & Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
QueenEmerilla

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Define 'Spam' Reply with quote

I was reading the Sugestions/Questions earlier, and something occured to me. We have no actual standards for 'spam'. Yes, it's a stupid, pointless, annoying message, but I think we need to sort of set some...guidelines for what spam is and isn't.

Firstly, spam is something that does nothing to add to the discussion. Replies like, 'Omg, that's so stupid' do NOTHING to add to the discussion, and I think just simple 'yes' and 'no' should be considered spam. No one's mind thinks that simply. When people think there are reasons for it. So, I think as I general rule, responses should at least be five words. If you can't think of five words to say on a topic, do you really need to reply?

Secondly, is the web site promotion. Most people don't do this, but a few do, so I think a post that talks about someone's personal web site should be considered spam. (I don't mean like saying, 'So-and-so wrote an article about that on her web site. Did you know?' I mean people who are like, 'Oh, you should check out my web site. I talk about this a lot!' If someone can take the time to type out an article, he/she can take time to paraphrase it).

Thirdly, all the Open Discussion topics. For reasons why, read any of those. Enough said.

Lastly, is all the argument posts. 'Well, that's stupid'. Then, 'Hey, that's not nice!' followed by 'Well, that's how I feel'. proceeded by, 'I'm going to report you' then comes, 'Stop being so bossy!' This kind of fits into the first category, too. As I've stated my opinion on another topic, if someone is arguing, just ignore the person.

I'll probably think of more I forgot to say, and I don't want to chew people out on Christmas day, so I'll stop for now. From everyone else, what do you call spam? Maybe we can come up with some general forum guidelines about spam.

Today 90% of the world's teenagers would die if Myspace had a system failure and was completely destroyed, but I'm part of the 10% who'd point and laugh.
>_Mikey_<

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spam to me:

#1. Not adding anything to the discussion, as QE has said.

#2. Repeating the same thing over and over, even in different words in almost every post in a topic, having nothing else to say along with it.

#3. Simple yes/no answers without anything to add. Other posts like "I Agree" and nothing else is also what I would consider spam.

Adding to recent Suggestion/Feedback topics:

People are going criticize your posts/answers/sentences, so don't act like a baby if you don't like how they always respond. Get used to it. Not everyone is going to agree with you. If you don't like the way someone replies to you, too bad. Don't force things onto people.

Last edited by >_Mikey_< on Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nikki2244

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>_Mikey_< wrote:
Spam to me:

#1. Not adding anything to the discussion, as QE has said.

#2. Repeating the same thing over and over, even in different words in almost every post in a topic, having nothing else to say along with it.

#3. Simple yes/no answers without anything to add.

Adding to recent Suggestion/Feedback topics:

People are going criticize your posts/answers/sentences, so don't act like a baby if you don't like how they always respond. Get used to it. Not everyone is going to agree with you. If you don't like the way someone replies to you, too bad. Don't force things onto people.

Mikey I would agree with that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Fantasy Forum Forum Index -> Suggestions & Questions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: