Left Owl Owl Fantasy Forum
Discussion about Owls in Fiction and Fantasy
Right Owl
Recent Posts | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups |Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in | OwlPages.com | Owlers Forum

The Tale of Krasil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Fantasy Forum Forum Index -> Write your Owl Story
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gadfeather

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:11 am    Post subject: The Tale of Krasil Reply with quote

Chapter 1
A Way in the Wind

The little chick looked around, his eyes not yet focused on his surroundings, having just emerged from a dark and safe egg.
“Darius, stop that now, and Melia, leave your brother alone! Oh, Snowbell, I just gave you a bite to eat not two minutes ago!” It was a warm, but worn down, voice.
“Cheep!” the little chick rasped forcefully, trying to get someone's attention, “Cheep!”
“Dakur, do you hear a noise? Oh, Great GLAUX! Our chick, our chick!”
The little chick, having decided he had had enough of these ignorant owls, was crawling along to the edge of the hollow, seeking something other than this annoying babble of noise.
“Krasil! Krasil! Come back! Oh, stop him, Dakur, he'll kill himself!”
In a split second, Dakur, a fast but not so large Great Gray, had plucked Krasil from the nest's edge and set him down among some soft down.
“Goodness, Ezylnyth, how are we ever going to keep track of all these rowdy chicks?” wondered Dakur.
“Well, we'll find a way, don't worry,” but Ezylnyth was looking more exhausted than ever, “Oh, and don't forget, tonight is Melia's first flight ceremony, Darius's first bones, Snowbell's first meat, and little Krasil's first insect.” Dakur's head was spinning.
“Well, I'd better take off,” said Dakur, dreading all the hunting but more so looking forward to some peace and quiet.
“Bye, Da!,” chorused Krasil's syblings.
“Cheep!” huffed Krasil angrily, still mad at this owl who foiled his plans of escape.
“Goodbye, dear, and good hunting,” cooed Ezlnyth.
“I'm ooooff!” hooted Dakur as he swooped down.
“So,” Ezlnyth pleasantly said, “Everybody, this is Krasil, your new little brother!” There was a general sound of greeting, a mixed jumble, of “hi,” “hello,” and “a brother!?”
Krasil hated his family from the start.
Gadfeather

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krasil quickly caught on to language, and soon he was questioning everything his Mum, Da, or siblings said.
“Well, Mum, I’m off on my first solo hunting flight,” said Melia, “Wish me luck.”
“Why aren’t Mum and Da coming?” asked Krasil.
“Because she has to learn how to hunt on her own, dummy!” said Darius, the rowdiest one in the nest.
“Humph,” said Krasil quietly. Darius was always mean to him, but his parents were always praising Melia, giving Snowbell something to eat, or cleaning up some other mess Darius had made. They were always too busy for Krasil’s simple questions or small needs. And, as the smallest one in the nest, he always got the smallest and most unappetizing scraps of food.
“But Da, I don’t want to eat the vole imtesmetimes!” complained Krasil after several nights of being stuck with it as his only food.
“Intestines, Kras, intestines. And sorry, but next time you gotta be more aggressive! Your food won’t catch itself, young owl!”
“But Daaaaa, Darius and Snowbell gulped the rest of it down before I even got a chance at it!” Melia was off on another hunting trip at the time, accompanied by Ezylnyth, which would turn out unsuccessful for them both, the hunting was bad in the Shadow Forest at this time of year.
“Well, I’m sorry son, but it’s all I could catch,” said Dakur. Krasil’s mind pondered.
“Well, then, you didn’t get to eat any, either. Here you go!” He gently shoved the “imtesmetimes” over to Dakur. He hoped that maybe this small gesture of friendliness would make his Da appreciate him some more.
“Uh, thanks but no thanks, Kras,” and absentmindedly he tossed Krasil’s only dinner out the hollow opening, leaving little Krasil hungry for the night.
Gadfeather

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soon Krasil was flying and hunting, and he was quite good at both. He loved to hunt because it was so quiet and he could use his abnormally keen Great Gray ears to track tiny prey. He loved to fly because he was free from his annoying family, and he thought the trees of the Shadow Forest were quite beautiful.
Soon Melia left the nest, visiting often because she was a poor hunter, and soon Darius wanted to leave too. Ezylnyth and Dakur were not so willing, because Darius was very irresponsible and “uncentered” as Krasil's Mum said. As Krasil understood it, Darius was too immature to live on his own, and almost too immature to live in the nest. Snowbell just never stopped eating, not caring about anything else and having a difficult time learning to fly because of her weight. Krasil was usually hunting or sitting in the back corner of the hollow, watching his parents juggle a needy fledgling, a demanding “teen,” and an eating machine. This was when Krasil vowed never to have chicks of his own.
Gadfeather

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melia was at home with her new mate, Darius had finally left the nest with his parent's permission, Snowbell was sleepily belching softly in the corner, Krasil's parents were preening each other, and Krasil's head was poking out the hollow opening, enjoying the vicious winds of the full-scale blizzard. After a few minutes, he looked back, and saw that his parents had both fallen asleep. He looked out into the blizzard, back at his parents again, lifted his wings, and took off into the storm.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Krasil's eyes cracked open, closing quickly again at the harsh light.
“Ah, it stirs,” an old voice said, “It's about time you woke up.”
Krasil opened his eyes slowly again, and saw the face of a terrifying whiskered screech looming over him.
“Krasil of the Shadow Forest,” he mumbled, and went back to sleep, too tired to notice how different he looked.
Gadfeather

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krasil once again woke up, feeling a bit different. He felt as if there was a little hollow spot in his gizzard, and as he looked down at his talons, he wilfed suddenly in surprise. He was relatively light for a Great Gray, but now he appeared to be about the average gray, maybe a little darker. He blinked, not registering what he was seeing in his brain. He was alone in the hollow, but the whiskered screech flapped down and landed on the rim of the hollow.
"Where are we?" asked Krasil.
"Ambala, boy. I'm guessin' you were blown a bit off course."
"Um, yeah. Who are you, if I may ask?"
"Berrix, whiskered screech. I'm the one who cured your wings, young'un."
Krasil looked at his wings and saw that they were woven with bandages.
"That frost nearly took all the down right off, lucky you still have your primaries."
"Thank you," said Krasil, and looked at the plump vole in Berrix's talons.
He stared hungrily at it.
Gadfeather

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Aah, you're hungry. Good. Eat this," Berrix tossed the vole towards Krasil. "Now to get some for me-self." Berrix lifted off and Krasil tore into the vole like he'd never get to eat again. He soon forgot about his color and was pleased to see that Berrix returned shortly.
as they ate, he told Krasil about growing up in Ambala and how his mate and their first brood had been killed in a forest fire. He swore to never find another mate again. So, he had filled his days with visiting other owls, curing the sick and helping the injured. He had come to be known as the Doctor of Ambala. Finally Berrix commented that Krasil appeared relatively small, but he had very developed feathers and was an expert flier.
"Did you ever get lots to eat?" asked Berrix.
"No, most of the time I was nearly starving."
"Well then," said the old Whiskered Screech with a twinkle in his eyes, "We can fix that."
And from that day on Krasil was Berrix's apprentice.
Gadfeather

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He learned everything Berrix knew, and then some, because he did his own health experiments. He ate a wide range of things, and even tried some plants. He exercised lots every day, and soon he grew into a large Great Gray. He was surprised by this, as he had been a pretty small chick.
One day, he saw a large rabbit in the forest and swooped down after it. At the same moment, a bobcat leaped out of the bushes and they collided. The bobcat was smaller than average size, but it was very agile. The rabbit, in the meantime, bounded away. The bobcat, in blistering fury that it had lost its dinner, lashed out towards Krasil. He swiped his long claws across Krasil's chest. He ripped out a cloud of feathers, but only barely drew blood. Krasil's incredibly healthy diet gave him a thick shield of feathers, protecting him temporarily from the bobcat's strike.
Krasil, not wanting to hurt the bobcat too much, wrapped his large talons around the bobcat's puny head and tried to take off. The bobcat wriggled free, but was left with large scratches across his head. He slinked away, whining like a kitten.
Assuming that to be the end, Krasil looked around to see if prey was nearby. He snapped his head around to see and hear a huge bobcat to come bounding over the bushes, large whumps echoing into his ears with each pounding footstep. This was its mother.
Gadfeather

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bobcat's eyes flashed with maternal rage. Her claws extended so far they looked like natural battle claws, Krasil thought. He felt her claws pierce his wings, and the her wet breathe coating his eyes as she held him down... He screeched so loudly her ears flipped back in pain, but she showed no sign of letting go. Krasil thrashed his talons wildly, and tore open the bobcat's stomach. She faltered for a second before she growled fiercely and slashed her paw across Krasil's face. He closed his eyes and yanked at the bobcat's stomach laceration. Suddenly, the bobcat backed off as quickly as she had come. Krasil flipped to his feet with a groan and saw that she was completely gone. His whole body relaxed and he realized he dropped a small piece of something from his talon. For a second he speculated what it was, then realized the ground where he had laid was covered with blood! His wings were soaked through and sticky, disabling him from flight. He needed to get back to the hollow quickly, as he could tell he was losing blood fast. He trudged off as quickly as he could go, but soon blacked out in a puddle of blood.
Gadfeather

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berrix poked at Krasil's facial disk.
"Y'all right, sonny?" he barked.
"Uh... tired..."
"Hm, yep, looks like yeh fell inna pit-a tar, yer so dark."
Krasil looked at his wing and realized Berrix was right.
"Behind you!" Krasil squawked. There was a large and rather gray Great Horned swooping down towards Berrix.
"What, meboy?" said Berrix as he flipped around. "Some predator?"
Krasil watched in horror as the strange owl's claws were about to pierce Berrix, but then he passed right through him as if he were immaterialistic. Krasil blinked, and the owl disappeared.
"Nothing..." he said softly to Berrix. Was it a scroom?
They flew back to the hollow, but Krasil had a strange hollow feeling inside him...
Gadfeather

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I going crazy? Krasil wondered. He had seen a scroom, but it didn't talk to him or try to clear up unfinished business... unless unfinished business had included killing Berrix.
He thought that maybe he had just imagined it.
Or not.
He didn't want to tell Berrix, who was not the most spiritual owl, but he was going mad with curiosity and fear.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
He approached Berrix cautiously at the edge of the hollow, and tried to sound casual. He was just about to say something when a boreal owl alighted on the branch nearest to them.
"Good day, ma'am," said Krasil politely.
The boreal nodded in acknowledgment.
"Who are you callin' ma'am, young 'un?" said Berrix reproachfully.
"Um, sorry, thought I saw an owl." Krasil clicked his talons nervously. "Um, Berrix, I think I'll leave this morning, right at dawn."
The boreal gave him a confused look, but lifted her wings and flapped silently away, disappearing straight into the trunk of a tree.

The rest of the night passed uneventfully, and as Krasil watched the sun peeking over the horizon, he looked back at Berrix for one last time. He was snoozing peacefully, and wished him the best of all fortunes and every happiness.

And with that, Krasil spread his wings and disappeared silently into the waking sunlight. He would find his own way in the wind.
Gadfeather

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

then gadfeather realized they were bothering everybody. bye you guys!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Fantasy Forum Forum Index -> Write your Owl Story All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: