Left Owl Owl Fantasy Forum
Discussion about Owls in Fiction and Fantasy
Right Owl
Recent Posts | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups |Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in | OwlPages.com | Owlers Forum

Character creation rules & guidelines?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Owl Fantasy Forum Forum Index -> Suggestions & Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zemie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Character creation rules & guidelines? Reply with quote

NOTE:
(This only applies to Guardians of Ga'hoole role play)

After I had made a bio for my character, I was being told some parts needed expansion (his history mainly) but it seemed that there was no place that listed any rules or guidelines for creating character. I think it might save a lot of time if there was a posted format for bios, as well as some guidelines for them, so mods didn't have to repeatedly tell noobs that their character's bio is too short or they need to add a section.

I also noticed that there seemed to be no restriction on how "special" you could make your character. You could like give it both fire sight and star sight, and have like no weaknesses. I think it is not really fair or interesting for characters to be 'perfect'. I'm not saying they have to bland weaklings, but without flaws they just seem unrealistic and uninteresting.
>_Mikey_<

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the form is here (click)

I don't know about limitations or anything of the sort, I just make sure that there's enough information that it can be properly used/that it's relevant to Ga'Hoole.

zemie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I missed the form. Could have sworn I looked there for it. Perhaps the title should be bolded and made more offical-looking so noobs like me don't miss it. Although it does seem kind of under-detailed with telling you about how long and descriptive each field should be.
>_Mikey_<

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused; you don't even have a character in Pending Approvals.
zemie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, but I did. He's been approved now, but I was just considering how the mods must have to tell noobs who didn't see the form to add more stuff. It would save time if the form thread was more noticable and descriptive, so bios would be right the first time around and mods could just approve them then.

Last edited by zemie on Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Abaila

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sort of confused about the "perfect" thing, would you explain? I mean, nobody here's got totally perfect characters. Their flaws are mostly pointed out during RP, so... yeah, I'm confused. XD
Just want to know what you mean.

zemie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By 'Perfect' I mean character which is overly special. I've seen a few character in the approved bios board with very little to no flaws [although I won't point them out, that would be rude]. Like they have both fire-sight and star-sight; are children/grandchildren/sibling/ to one of the main book characters; have really special/strong/unique powers only they have; ect.
It's not wrong to have characters that are unique, but too many combined special qualities is just unrealistic. I don't mean to say any of these traits should be forbidden, I just think there should be perhaps some sort of limit, like; 'You can't have both fire sight and star sight.' or somthing like that.
Ammeg of Kiel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My charrie has two of those traits. Thare's nothing wrong with that! Sometimes they're made like that to fit the RP they're in!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never thought it was possible to make an Owl mary sue but I never thought about adding those traits to an owl.
zemie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I suppose that's ok, under certain circumstances [like a specific RP]. I didn't mean to be rude to any people who have characters with traits like those, I was just using them as an example. Sorry if it seemed I was bashing one of your characters, Ammeg.
I find annoying to have unflawed characters. I'm not saying they are overpowered to have these qualities, but they should at least have some believable flaws. Characters with no flaws are actually a discouraged form of writing called 'Mary Sues".
I haven't really seen many complete 'Mary Sues' when browsing the character bios, but I've seen some pretty over-powered ones. I was just aying there should perhaps be a required field for flaws of 'weaknesses' when writing bios, just to make the written character more three-dimensional and believable.
TCS.Bookman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, if an owl is too "special" or "perfect", the other RPer's will tell them so. I think I did that with one of AW's charries once.

We're not afraid to point out overly-perfect characters. I think we'll be fine.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, AW and I restarted an RP because our charries sounded like a grumpy old man and a princess. There's nothing wrong with your charrie being awesome, you just have to be awesome repectfully! Razz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said. With that possible issue solved, there is another related matter that's been bugging me.
There does seem to be a lack of information on the bio format page, as to how long each section must be. If strictly followed, the current format does seem [to me, at least] to not build a very three-dimensional character.
I have a format suggestion:
Quote:
Name:

*Nickame:

Species:

Kingdom:

Residence:

Physical Appearance:

Personality:

History:

Skills:

Weaknesses:

*Picture:

This is basically a more detailed version of the current format. Fields marked with asterisk are optional. I think this format adds a bit more depth, with specific sections for a short description of their specialties as well as weaknesses. I think it better outlines a character.
Ammeg of Kiel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weaknesses?! that ruins it! What if an owl moves a lot, what do you put as re4sidence? Kingdom and residence are the same thing?! Confused

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be a guidline for people who need help, I suppose, but for people like me who do my charrie pages just fine, it's just a bunch of extra things to bother with. People already have a hard time getting accepted, adding more things would only make it harder.

All you really added was nickname, kingdom/residence (same thing?), skills and weaknesses. People already include all those most the time. It's a good idea, but I don't think it'd help all that much.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Owl Fantasy Forum Forum Index -> Suggestions & Questions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: