The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index The Owl Pages Forum
Discussion about Owls

Recent PostsRecent Posts   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Hey all love the site... Man do I have a few queries for you

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Suggestions, Questions & How to
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PenrithOwls

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Hey all love the site... Man do I have a few queries for you Reply with quote

Hey all,

Hope all you guys find this one tricky....

1. I live in Australia, Sydney or to be more specific Penrith... I want to get into the breeding of owls, the whole shebang! So my first question is why is it illegal to own an owl in this country, but not in others? why are we so different? Is it just cause, here in Aus they classify owls as raptors?

2. Anyone on here found a loop hole, LEGALLY ? willing to become a carer, courses, study, anything...!

3. When it states, "Native bird in your Laws" what does it mean? eg: barn owls are found all over the world, if I had my import export license would I be allowed then to import an exotic barn owl?

4. if I did manage to find a way, to get into breeding owls. Would anyone recommend a website, or info on cage sizes? as I'm lookin into buyin 1/2 acre land an wanted it to be there own....

thanks everyone...
owlboy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owls make lousy pets. They will ruin your life. Most rehabbers end up divorced. There are plenty of books that can expose you to the problems of keeping them as pets.

There are very good reasons why it was made illegal. You need to learn more about the Migratory Bird Act of 1918. Prior to this law, people collected birds and bird parts and caused the extinction of many species of birds. Most countries in the world have adopted the law. England, Asia, and some parts of Africa don't have these laws and they have horrible problems. Then there are some people who sacrifice owls in rituals. This web site believes that owls belong in the wild, and I concur with this opinion.

If you want to be around owls, find a rehabber and volunteer time taking care of them. Some people like to photograph them or trying to find them in the wild.
Ninox1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One good reason I can think of is that all species of Australian owls except for Boobook and Barn owl are listed as vulnerable. The other reason (which may be incorrect) is that the only source for obtaining an owl in Australia would be to obtain it from the wild, either directly by raiding a nest or indirectly by rearing an injured bird. There are a number of Animal rehab organisations which are licensed to rehabilitate sick/injured animals but the license states they must be returned to the wild except in well defined and exceptional circumstances. Contact WIRES head office in Sydney and I am sure they will be able to enlighten you on this subject.
DirtHawker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOD Response: We don't allow trolling and nasty responses.

If you disagreed, you could have found a more professional way to respond with facts to back it up.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Suggestions, Questions & How to All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: