The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index The Owl Pages Forum
Discussion about Owls

Recent PostsRecent Posts   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Can a screech owl house swing ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> General Owling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giveAhoot

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:54 am    Post subject: Can a screech owl house swing ? Reply with quote

I've searched the internet and can't find the answer to this one. I've had 2 years of success attracting screech owls. My box was in a tree and they would roost in it during the fall and winter. They will not nest in it during spring. I believe this is because of squirrels. So right now I have my screech owl house mounted on a 10 feet steel pole out of reach of squirrels. No success yet, but it's still early. Here's my question. I could hang a swinging screech owl box on a limb out of reach from a potential squirrel jump. I just don't know if they would accept it. It wont swing too much because the owl box is heavy. Will a screech owl accept a house that swings a little? Or must a screech owl house be secured in a fixed position. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Kivia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this was posted a few months ago, but from what I found it is better that the box is in a secured position. I feel an unstable box would not be ideal for the owls. You can, however, put up predator guards to keep the squirrels out.

http://nestwatch.org/learn/all-about-birdhouses/dealing-with-predators/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> General Owling All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: