The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index The Owl Pages Forum
Discussion about Owls

Recent PostsRecent Posts   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Aviarian Cold

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Biology and Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brfalco

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:14 am    Post subject: Aviarian Cold Reply with quote

Hi all, I'd like to know how this disease is getting bigger, anyone know more about it?

Regards, Brfalco
theowlette

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that bird flu?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
colohen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brfalco
It really is not spreeding as fast as you might think . It wiped out a poultry farm in 1997 in the Orient . I have not rescearched it's origan Embarassed so I geuss I need to up date my information ! But in 9 years , from the poultry farm insident , I am not aware of any US cases . I know it has be come a treat to Europe and other eastern countries , but I would not consider that a " fast " mass spreading ! ???
I know it is a great treat to birds and swin but little treat to humans . However there have been deaths involveing people heavly exposed to the virius , such as thoes working in infected poultry farms .

For every ones behalf , If any one has information about Bird Flu AKA Avian influenza , This and other sites like this one , would be a great place to help track and inform others of its progress !

If there are no objections to this site owner Smile there are other sites listed on my site , for tho's instrested Exclamation ? And I would be intrested in any information up dates on this subjest !! http://groups.msn.com/ArkansasHawking

Good Hawking

Colohen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LIL OWL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think its getting any better..... Shocked
owlboy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fear with the Avian Flu, is that it will mutate into a different flu that humans are vunerable too. The problem with this flu is that it will not run it's course in a several days. This flu will kill a majority of the people who get it. To make matters worse, viruses are very difficult to cure, and find cures for. If that was to happen, it would turn into a pandemic, where millions of people would die in a short period of time.
High Tyto Soren

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who knows, maybe someone will find a cure one day. That would be an enormous breakthrough! Less deaths, more owls!
Strix nebulosa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhhh That doesn't sound cool.... Speechless....millions of people dieing...plus all the poor lil' fluffy owls! OH NOES! Sad
GREATGREYOWL!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FIND A CURE! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't just FIND a cure, you have to do a TON of research, like finding new medicine, it takes years.
Laughing Owl Lover

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be great if they could put a stop to the flu...
Atomik

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend that is a top avian vet, and belongs to the European comitee that's working in the bird flu issue and he finds it very hard for the virus to mutate. Also he thinks that the virus will not spread much more then it already did. Anyway, we need to keep worrying about it and take all measures to prevent it...
Tyto Naya

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly you can't just find a cure for a virus. They mutate, they hide in cells, they are very hard to get rid of. The problem is every time you find a vaccine that works chances are that a few virus particles will survive and then the virus will mutate so that the vaccine is no longer effective. Let's face it that's what all organisms do, they change to survive in a changing environment, or they become extinct.

But that doesn't mean people should panic. Just take sensible precautions with your birds and with your own health. Little things like only using a reliable food source, always washing your hands, covering aviaries etc can do a lot to help. And if you are worried ask your vet for advice, they will have access to the most up-to-date information.
Laughing Owl Lover

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyto Naya wrote:
Sadly you can't just find a cure for a virus.

maybe they could someday.
Tyto Naya

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well obviously it's not impossible, but it is unfortunately very unlikely. Viruses will ALWAYS mutate, so an effective antiviral would have to be able to match those mutations somehow.

Look at how long they've been giving human flu vaccines and they still aren't very effective, plus they have to make a totally new vaccine each year depending on the strain of the virus.

But for now the risk to humans is minimal, the virus that birds get has to mutate in just the right way before it can infect people. And as for your birds, at the moment prevention is better than a cure (cos there isn't one!) so keep them away from wild birds.
Strix nebulosa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up Right'on Tyto Naya!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Biology and Research All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: