The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index The Owl Pages Forum
Discussion about Owls

Recent PostsRecent Posts   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
pulling feathers

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Biology and Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bubo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:19 am    Post subject: pulling feathers Reply with quote

hello everyone, hope you all had a good easter. I hope i am posting this message in the right place. I have a little question. One of my female cockatiels, tabatha, keeps pulling feathers out from her young (who are now six weeks old and even from her mate. One feather at a time and onlyh when she feels like it. I spoke to a friend of mine and she said that owls do the same thing. Apparently, the feathers contain an oil which the birds can get addicted to so they make a habit of pulling feathers from their partners/young for the oil Shocked . I have tried to find something on the subject, in books, on the internet but with no success. I have spoken to my vet (mainly to make sure by birds were not lacking vitamines) but also to see if she could shed some light on this strange habit. She looked as surprised as i was when my friend gave me her opinion! Have any of you heard of this strange habit with owls? thanks a bunch !! bubo
Adain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, not with owls... Confused I have a budgerigar, so I have a budgerigar guide book that says they plucked their own feathers if they get bored (this may or may not apply to cockatiels), but I have never heard of them plucking feathers from others! Shocked

Sorry, all I'm doing is talking senselessly...forgive? xD
elira

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: feathers Reply with quote

Hmm.. that's odd. I've heard of birds plucking their own feathers out of boredom (like Adain said) but I haven't heard of them plucking the feathers of other birds. Surprised
theowlette

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This message was initially posted over two years ago, so let's hope Bubo solved the problem without our advice!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Biology and Research All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: