The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index The Owl Pages Forum
Discussion about Owls

Recent PostsRecent Posts   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
OwlSearch Projects

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Biology and Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baykush

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: OwlSearch Projects Reply with quote

I am a biologist and I want to take part in a project about owls. Although I dont have any practical studies on owls I have been trying to learn anything about owls by reading. I am in Turkey. And there are not any studies on owls in here. And in here there are a lot of owl species so it will be very good to have someone working on owls. And if there is someone I would like to help. I also want to take part in projects in other countries.
owlboy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Global Owl Project going on worldwide right now. You can go to their web site: http://www.globalowlproject.com . The owner of this site, Deane Lewis, also built the site for them. You might also want to contact Tanya Sova. She was a biologist in Serbia, and might know some of the right people in your country. She now lives in the United States, but still has many contacts in your region of the world.

If you have questions, you can always ask them here. We do have many experienced Owlers on this forum.
tanja sova

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Baykush, and welcome to the owl roost!

I am glad another biologist is here - can you tell us a little bit more about what you do? In what part of Turkey you live?

If I were you, I'd definitely write to David Johnson, you will find his e-mail address at www.globalowlproject.com He is very supportive and friendly owl researcher, just like there are many others gathered around this project. I am sure he will be happy to hear from you, since as far as I know, Turkey is merely covered with owl research. You know, when you read Mikkola's Owls of Europe book, you will find that Turkey has this very important role in European owl species counts, Bubo (formerly known as Ketupa) zeylonensis has been locally found in the south of Turkey, so it would be great if you can help on this one, but also not only about this species. Personally I am very much curious about status of Asio otus in your country.

Regarding conference: as long as you have something to contribute with at the conference, I am sure there are ways that organizers can help you financially - that was the case in Austria where owl symposium was held in 2003 (www.ageulen.de) where participant researchers from less developed countries were supported with amount of money that helped to cover travel expenses. But the key factor is that you have an article to contribute with. So there is a time and think about it. Worth trying really, very good and supportive people are there Very Happy

Hope to see you around

Sincerely

Tanja Cute Owl 2
baykush

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Ankara, the centre anatolian region. And we also have owls in our campus. I am doing MSc in archaeometry now. And I work at the university as a project assistant so I am in campus most of the time. We have an ornitology society also but noone specifically interested in owls.
And thank you for the links and ideas Very Happy
theowlette

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Baykush!

I loved Turkey- I spent several weeks doing earthquake relief in a camp near Izmit. I spent time in Istanbul and visited Ephesus, as well. You have a beautiful country, and I'll be happy if I can get there again.

If you have a digital camera, take photos of owls you see, and we can help identify them or answer questions if you have any. If you look for owl pellets, you can also get a lot of useful information by dissecting them.

I do a lot of reading myself, since I do not have direct contact with owls, but I find this site to be a great resource whenever I have questions. Feel free to ask, and I am confident someone will have an answer!

Ivy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
owlboy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the past several years, we have had a number of Owlers from Turkey. A number of them do exist. Here is a link for birding sites: http://www.camacdonald.com/birding/meturkey.htm . I would try to contact Bird watchers in Turkey, and they can often tell you where to find them. You might also want to contact some Vets in Turkey. When they find some, many people do take them to Vets.

There are a number of Owlers in Turkey. Finding them might be difficult. I have also seen Owls in Turkey displayed on stamps http://www.bird-stamps.org/query/turkey/1998owls.htm

You might also want to use Google to search for Owls in Turkey. You could also check around educational sources.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Biology and Research All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: