The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index The Owl Pages Forum
Discussion about Owls

Recent PostsRecent Posts   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Fledging Eastern Screech Owls

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> General Owling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
screech

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:30 am    Post subject: Fledging Eastern Screech Owls Reply with quote

Do baby Eastern Screech Owls fledge at night? For years I have had owls come to my owl nesting box & raise their young. I've never seen the babies fledge. I've seen them poke their heads out of the hole & look around & seen them moving around inside but never seen them outside the box. I've always been concerned because we have dogs & cats but fortunately have never seen them kill a baby owl. I'm thinking that maybe they fledge at night when predators are less likely to get them.
giveAhoot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not seen one fledge either. Probably not safe for a young owl to fledge during the daytime. Too many hawks looking for an easy meal. I believe the parents perch just outside the box after dusk and eventually coerce them out. I have seen the entire family in the bird bath at night or dusk. Once when i pulled in my driveway at night, I saw the entire family on a fence. They flew to a nearby tree as I entered the garage. I got my flashlight to verify that there was 2 fledglings with 2 adults. The fledglings follow the adults around for most of the summer at night learning how to fly and hunt. Sometime in late summer or fall, the adult owls force the adolescent owls to leave and find their own territory. Once I see a baby owl perched at the entrance hole, they are usually flying in a few days. That's about all I know. I'm in Texas also. DFW area. Hope this helps.
giveAhoot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a quality bird bath in a strategic location near a outdoor light, window, and your favorite night time hangout location. After a hot 100 degree day, this will be the owl family's first stop I guarantee it. My bird bath is large and deep. After a hot day, the owl family will stop by the birdbath first thing. Many times this occurs at dusk when I can still see. The owls will drink and wade in deep all the way to the middle of the bird bath. Mine is about 3 inches deep in the middle. They will love it and you will get to see your fledglings outside the box. My large concrete bird bath cost me about $250 plus tax. You might find one cheaper on craigs list. Make sure its large and deep because this Texas heat can evaporate shallow ones quickly. Also put it under tree canopy. This will keep the water cooler and make them feel safer. I use a large tea strainer to clean out debris every day and I change out the water completely once a week. good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> General Owling All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: