The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index The Owl Pages Forum
Discussion about Owls

Recent PostsRecent Posts   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Owl question trees

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> General Owling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jojo92

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Owl question trees Reply with quote

Hello
is there certain types of trees Barred owls like i always thought it was a pine tree thanks for any input!
bird brain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you live really close to a lake, swamp, or wetlands? That seems to be their choice of habitat. I don't think they care what species of tree. I would choose a large shade tree and face the opening in a direction where both you and the barred owl can see it. No point in facing it in a direction where you can't even enjoy the view of the owl. A pine tree would also be fine. You just want the entrance hole to be visible to the owl so it will notice it and visible to you so you can enjoy it. Don't face it north if you can help it. If the barred owl uses it for a winter roost, the north wind will be unwelcome. An open flyway to the entrance is also important. Both my owl boxes are about 13 feet to 14 feet high. If the entrance hole is shaded, that's also a big plus. Good luck to you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> General Owling All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: