The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index The Owl Pages Forum
Discussion about Owls

Recent PostsRecent Posts   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Owl hearing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Biology and Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jester

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Owl hearing Reply with quote

i know owls have got pretty good hearing but what i want to know is the range they can hear at as i need to get a whistle now to attract Jesters attention cos he is getting farther and farther away from me now and i cant whistle very well Surprised had to shout last night cos he was about 30mtrs away and looking in all directions except towards me (until i shouted and he saw he was going to get a whole chick then he flew )

it would help if i knew the hearing range so i can get the best tone of whistle to get his attention when out flying him then i dont have to give him such big bits of food and get him to fly more Very Happy
bubo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi jester, I am going to have to quote Jim Duncan here 'although humans can hear about the same range of sounds frequencise as owls, owls' hearing is up to 10 times more acute than that of humans for frequencies ranging from 05 - 9kHz'. Hope this helps.
bubo
Jester

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup sure does Very Happy

would have been nice if i could have used a dog whistle to save making too much noise out and about but will just get a standard whistle instead.

thanks
AL (Jester probably wont thank you though cos now he will get whistled at Razz )
bubo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he will start learning that whistle=food. therefore you may only have to blast for first few times but then afterwards a quick blow maybe all it takes to get his attention. Let us know what he thinks of it!! how are you going to go about it? maybe blow a little in the garden really rewarding him if he reacts? interesting!!
bubo
Nyra

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pavlov's owls. Interesting... Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Biology and Research All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: