The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index The Owl Pages Forum
Discussion about Owls

Recent PostsRecent Posts   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Identifying Gender?!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Biology and Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ninox

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheeky devil! For today indeed!! I think that keeping these owls is bad for humans - they pick up very naughty habits! Twisted Evil

cheers - Ninox Razz
bubo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh no ninox i was sweet and innocent until a certain boobook came and joined us Cool Razz (i'm still sweet though) Very Happy
Ninox

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whistle
bubo

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Wink
nightowl

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing what an education Wink
Brfalco

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how to discover the gender in Glaucidium minutissimun?anyone know something about it?

regards, Brfalco
High Tyto Soren

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Female barn owls have a lot of speckles, more than males. And females are larger than the males, as you said. Wink
Claudia Múnera

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: a little late but I hope it helps... Reply with quote

Define gender in owls (barn owls is another story) is diffiuclt but the key is their size: females larger and heavier than males, it is a little difficult if you have to identify one single owl, but the best way is practice in field, another way may be go to a museum to compare skins.

Glaucidium minutissimun....the same...females larger and heaviers than males....

For Barn owls, I understand that females weights justs a little bit more than males, and another difference is that males are generally slightly lighter than females, but may occur variations.

Claudia
Bubo virginianus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Owl Genders Reply with quote

A great book on identifying all types of birds is the Sibley Guide to Birds. It has the different color variations of all the species of North American Owls, as well as what their sexual dimorphes.
(And I mean that but one being bigger than another)

Great Horned Owls have many geographic color variations, but the one most people know them by are their Eastern variation.

Back on track, I will list all I have heard of for different owls gender diferences. In all species of owl, females are larger. Forgive me if I do not list all the types, as I know most about the bubo species.

Long Eared Owl - Females large, and average darker and more heavily barred then males.

Short Eared Owl - Females large, and average darker and more heavily barred then males.

Barred Owl - Females much larger. Dark adults can also be males. Their are two varriations, dark and light.

Spotted Owl - Females Larger, three variations, Norhtern Darkest, Southern Lightest, Middle somewhere in between

Barn Owl - Females Larger and Darker. Birds with white undersides are almost always males. Females also more spotted.

Snowy Owl - Females larger, and have a little brown on them too.

Great Horned Owl - Females larger and averageslightly darker and slighty more heavier barred than males. Different Color Variations
Pacific Northwest: Darkest, almost black
Southwest: A grey color, with some black
Eastern: Most comonly known. Rusty colored face with different shades of brown and grey for plumage. Has white throat and eye brows.
Subarctic: Off white and grey, also may have some black.

In great horned owls, plumage is mainly for where they live. Their are more forests in the east thus they have better camoflauge for that and so on.

Great Grey Owl - Female Larger

Eastern Screech Owl - Females Larger. Three color variations, red, grey, and a mixture of both brown. Plumage colors have nothing to do with range.

Burrowing Owl - Female Larger.

Thats it for now. Laughing

Congradulations Univirsity of Florida on your second BCS National Championship! Go Gators! Go Tampa Bay Buccaneers
High Tyto Soren

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Cool sig)

I always thought that (GHO's for example) males had deeper calls than females, but I'm not an expert like you guys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Biology and Research All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: