The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index The Owl Pages Forum
Discussion about Owls

Recent PostsRecent Posts   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Owl Myths
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Mythology, Culture & Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Owl Myths Reply with quote

Perhaps any Owl Myths that you have heard and would like to share? I'm sure I have a few somewhere.

Looking forward to replies,

Adain
Laughing Owl Lover

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well there's that greek owl god- was it Athena
Adain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Athena was your average goddess, and since she was the goddess of wisdom (owls were thought to be wise in ancient Greece), she had an owl companion constantly with her, and according to myths, it gave her advice. I can't remember if the owl featured in ancient Greece was Burrowing owl or a Little owl. o-o I don't know where I got Burrowing owl from.
Laughing Owl Lover

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh the owl companion made me think that she was a godess of nature or owls or something
Adain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. (:
Tyto22

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to be that if you heard an owl's hoot it meant that someone was going to die and the owl was there to carry the soul away. Also, if you were pregnant and heard an owl's hoot it meant you were going to have a baby girl....
Not to mention all of the ghost stories inspired by barn owls. When they would nest in old damp castles they would get a bioluminescent fungus that would grow on their feathers that would make them glow in the dark, so they were glowing, flying, screaming, and 'disappearing' through stone walls (going through small crevices between the stones)
- Baba Dioum
Tyto, chronos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of a myth that will really freak you out. It is a myth everyone has heard at one time or another, i would assume.

There have been many many tales of horror all over the western hemisphere about this "man." It has frightened police officers into resignation from the force. It has inspired many whispers of government conspiracy. He has been called the birdman, the flying witch, but he is most commomnly known as the Mothman.
What does this have to do with owls, you ask? The descriptions of this creature all have a striking reseblance to a man-sized Tytonid of some sort. The birdman of mexico is said to have great white wings and seems to be lethargic during the light hours. It also is said to have an elongated nose and no mouth (a beak maybe?). The mothman of New jersey is said to fly at 60 mph or more. Not unthinkable of a 6' tall tyto. Its head is very large like an owl's and the body is also supposed to be very pale underneath and significantly darker above, just like a tyto alba.

But the most unnerving is the description of the flying witch that scared police officers to death. This witch was said to have flown from the forest edge to the field in which the police officer was staying. It was extremely aggressive, not unlike some tytos. It was said to have no visible legs, but whitish hands with extremely long, sharp nails (quite possibly the taloned feet of a tyto raised up to the level of human hands). But most of all, the most frightening thing about this creature was its ghostly white, heartlike face and terrible pitch black eyes, yes it was the eyes that made it so intimidating and frightful.

Spooky, huh?
owlpages
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, i've head this story too. it was covered a couple of years ago in this article i read:

http://phenomena.cinescape.com/0/Editorial.asp?aff_id=0&this_cat=The%20Ghost%20Inside&action=page&obj_id=1163

here's the artists impression of the creature:

http://phenomena.cinescape.com/0/Image.asp?aff_id=0&this_cat=Ghost%20Inside&action=page&obj_id=539

it may look strangly familiar to you...
Tyto, chronos

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, that's your avvy in the fantasy forum. Very clever! And that is what the one in new jersey was described as pretty much, because i remember now about the red eyes. (possibly caused by the reflection of the light from the headlights like red eye in a picture.)
Adain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa! Thanks for sharing; I've never heard of the Owlman. o:
Laughing Owl Lover

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there was one in italy where if a owl hooted near a sick persons house then that person would die in three days
Tyto, chronos

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That legend origionated in the ancient middle asia. That legend migrated to europe, asia, and north america thanks to the bering strait.
Adain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Acient people and their supersitions about owls, cats, etc. are so funny. Laughing
goglover!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a book called americas top ten true scary creatures, and i think tha tmothman was one of them There's a picture that they drew of him on the cover, i'll see if i can scan it.
QueenEmerilla

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a myth. I only copied part of it, but you can find the rest at www.emeraldgypsy.com

It's about the ancient Celtic star goddess.

Arianrhod is said to be able to shapeshift into a large Owl, and through the great Owl-eyes, sees even into the darkness of the human subconscious and soul. The Owl symbolizes death and renewal, wisdom, moon magick, and initiations. She is said to move with strength and purpose through the night, her wings of comfort and healing spread to give solace to those who seek her
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Mythology, Culture & Entertainment All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: