The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index The Owl Pages Forum
Discussion about Owls

Recent PostsRecent Posts   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Symbolism
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Mythology, Culture & Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
natalia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Symbolism Reply with quote

Hello to everybody,

My name is Natalia, I am new here, so, nice to meet you!

I am interested in symbolism of animals and birds. Owls especially seem to be very misterious birds. There is something supernatural in their behaviour and look...

What does the Owl symbolise for you?

I am looking forwar to hear your answers!
(I will post my own little article about the Owls's symbolism here later... I am quorious, if you like it...)
owlboy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Natalia. Hope that you enjoy it here. We do have a number of members who are interested in symbolism, so hopefully they will respond soon. We also have a Fantasy Forum, where some of the members there are also interested in symbolism.
Adain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Forum, Natalie!

I believe the owl symbolizes the nature of silence, the complexity and grace of it all.

Regards,

Adain
natalia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Thank you, Adain.

I wonder if I should wait for other replies... My thought was that if you favour an animal or a bird, it represented something special for you.

Why do you like owls? What do you feel when you think of them? What associations do you have?

I asked the same questions to my internet friends and got a few answers. They knew, I was writing an article about it. I just hoped to see, if the answer could be any different.... As my friends do not have any preferences in animals or birds.
owlpages
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Natalia, welcome to the forum!

To me, Owls represent quietness, solitude and intellect. I first got interested in owls when looking for a Tattoo design!
natalia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Cool
So, is there a story somewhere on the web site, how you made the decision to make such a big tattoo of an owl?
theowlette

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owls don't necessarily symbolize anything to me, but to people I know, owls symbolize me. Most people who know anything about me know how much I love collecting, researching, and reciting seemingly frivolous factoids about owls.

I first became interested in owls in college when a great horned owl sat on the telephone wire outside of my dorm window. He/She came every night for nearly my entire sophomore year. I practically fell out of my third story window hooting back. I named him Earl. After that, I started researching owls, visiting them at zoos, etc. There aren't any owls near me (as I live in a very populated area), but I'm sure if I drive 20 minutes from my house and sit patiently, I might be lucky enough to see one.

Welcome to the forum!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
owlpages
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

natalia wrote:
So, is there a story somewhere on the web site, how you made the decision to make such a big tattoo of an owl?

I'm afraid not... sorry Sad
natalia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it ok to ask you to tell it here?
owlboy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Symbolism of Owls can be viewed from a number of different angles.

Lately, a number of differnt TV commericals have been including owls with their products. From an advertisers point of view, Owls represent purity, rareness, something special, a "God" like status, and nature at it's finest.

Movies and TV shows, on the other hand, use owls to represent a fantasy of humans saviors, special hidden friend, or a fantasy of hidden powers.

Some human societies consider an Owls present to be a blessing or a curse. Some societies in history believed that all owls must be killed, or their families lives will be in danager.

From a scientific point of view, Owls represent rulers of the sky during the night, natures way of correcting overpopulations of small mamals, remarkable stealth and obervation abilities.

From the prey's point of view, Owls represent an unexpected, quick, and sudden death. To other birds, Owls represent enormous fear and hate.

I suppose from the diversity of views, this makes owls very mysterious and magical. Everyone knows about owls, but few have seen one in the wild. Some people have never seen an owl in the wild, but are surprised to learn that many owls fly past their house every year, while they are sleeping. They almost have a "god" like power over nature.
natalia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, when I think about it, it is a good idea to use an owl in a TV commercial... They are right that they do this.
It is so increadable, that the Owl represents magic and mistery (good or bad) in all cultures. I lways wondered how that happened.
owlpages
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Natalia, have you seen the Owl Mythology section at the main site?

natalia wrote:
Is it ok to ask you to tell it here?

there's not much to tell really, i just wanted a tattoo to represent how i was feeling at that time. i didn't want to choose from any flash art because i wanted someting unique. i eventually decided on an owl, because it represents wisdom and solitude. i spent the next 9 months searching for a suitable picture for the tattoo artist, meanwhile becoming increasingly fascinated with these birds. the tattoo took a total of 17 hours to complete. this was done in 3 seperate sessions, each 2 weeks apart. i've never regretted getting it!

the picture was actually inspired by photo by Mike Read - check out http://www.mikeread.co.uk and scroll to the bottom of the page.

Last edited by owlpages on Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
natalia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the story and the link. There are some great pictures there and I will remember that for my future projects...

Yes, I looked at the page about mythology. I also researched the question in the books and internet. Though, I need something else... I want to see, what people actually feel about this or that animal or bird. I am interested in people's unconscious perception of the animal symbols. Of course, we tend to have the perception that our culture suggests us, but... I am curious to see if people actually feel the same. The best way to find this out is to ask them Smile

I used to say to my friends: do not tell me what you know from books. I can look into the books myself. Tell me, what you really think of it.
Any copywriter needs a unique material for his(her) article. I cannot just steal somebody else's article Cool

I have my own little theory about symbols. I think, symbols do work as amulets. Though, there is no magic in it. It is all about psychology. If you unconsciously believe in something, than an amulet is just an excuse for you to act in your interests. Well, I can tell more if anybody is interested.
Tyto22

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess in a way owls, like all of nature, symbolize what most of society is missing out on, the perfection of nature and the way that all things are connected. When someone says "oh we don't need that animal" they don't understand that without that animal, the balance is disturbed. Many don't care until it directly affects them, and thats sad. Owls are nature at its finest, they are power, they are the rulers of the night and they are amazing creatures. I guess some of the scientific knowledge has ruined the "wise old owl" symbol for me, although they are are amazing ambassadors because they have almost a human face, it draws people to them. Eagles are power, hawks are intelligence, falcons are speed and owls are stealth. <3 Ok, I'm done now Razz
- Baba Dioum
Laughing Owl Lover

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about owls and symbolism, and since I don't think you have a welcome thread, I just welcome you here

welcome to the forum!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Mythology, Culture & Entertainment All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: