The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index The Owl Pages Forum
Discussion about Owls

Recent PostsRecent Posts   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Best Flier, Out of Owls?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Biology and Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bubo virginianus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: The Best Flier, Out of Owls? Reply with quote

I have been a huge fan of owls for years, particularly the Great Horns. I was wondering if any one knew which owls has the best flying abilities? Couldn't find an answer on the internet.

Congradulations Univirsity of Florida on your second BCS National Championship! Go Gators! Go Tampa Bay Buccaneers
owlboy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Owlpages.com Owler Forum. Hope that you enjoy your time here. Tell us why you like GHO, or any good stories. The area where I live is loaded with GHOs.

In regards to your question, it is difficult to make one species the winner of the best flying ability. Each species has their strengths and weaknesses. If you look at the ratio of the wingspan to the body length, most owls fall in the ratio of 2:1 to 3:1. Northern Saw-Whets have the biggest ratio, with a ratio of 3:1. On the other hand, if you look at an Owls ability to carry weight, then the GHO would probably win, with it's ability to carry 3 times it's own body weight. But, if you are looking for an agile flyer then you would have to consider the Northern Saw-Whet, Screech Owl, and the Long-Eared Owl. A screech could probably out fly a LEO in the dense woods. In an open area, such as a field, a LEO would probably win. Then you have to consider male and female. As a general rule, males are more agile then females, and better flyers. Overall, with a LEO's slim body, good wingspan ratio, and fast flying speed, and agile flying ability, I would personally consider them to have the best overall flying abilities. But, LEO cannot carry very much weight.
Rochelle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info, Owlboy.

I knew that Saw-Whet owls have a wide wingspan compared to their body length, but never thought about the ratios. Another interesting tidbit to add to our school programs. Hadn't run across that fact in my searching.
Laughing Owl Lover

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my opinion they are all the best. after all, they all are adapted to diff. things.
Bubo virginianus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanksfor the infomation. I like GHO becasue they are so powerful. They are also the only eagle owl in North America. They have a cool call too.

Congradulations Univirsity of Florida on your second BCS National Championship! Go Gators! Go Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Owl Pages Forum Forum Index -> Biology and Research All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: